WINE MAKING

and ageing

"Winemaking is natural and we adapt to each vintage”

pompe à vin

The plots are harvested according to the phenolic maturity measured by a series of analyses and flavour tests. The picking order for each parcel is determined according to the results of berry samplings.

Harvesting is done by hand except for two cuvées: " Bourgogne Aligoté " and " Coup de foudre ".

A first sorting out is done on the plot followed by a second sorting on the sorting table at the winery. For every red cuvée, part of the crop is kept in whole bunches depending on the vintage year. The winemaking process is natural, with a cold pre-fermentative maceration and a stringent monitoring of temperatures. The alcoholic fermentation takes place when natural yeasts are ready to start their job, for the whites, fermentation is carried out in their maturing containers.

We tend to favour long ageing (except for the ‘coup de foudre’ cuvée) with a very gentle and delicate extraction. The malo-lactic fermentation (MLF) takes place at its own pace in the maturing container.

The wines are barrelled by gravity without any racking during maturing. The racking and blending of the casks are gently carried out one or two months before bottling in order to avoid filtration at the most. Then the wines are bottled in a single batch per appellation.

Danielle-Bonnardot-155-min

For white wines:

– Bourgogne Aligoté is kept in vats for about 8 to 12 months on lees.

– Bourgogne Hautes Côtes de Nuits is matured in oak casks for 20% of the output and in vats for the rest (80%). Ageing lasts between 6 and 10 months depending on the year.

–The ‘Clos des oiseaux’ cuvée is matured for 12 months in barrels (for 100% of the production), 30% of them being new oak.

– Savigny ‘les planchots’ et Ladoix ‘les vris’ sont élevés en fût de chêne entre 10 et 14 mois avec 50% fûts neufs.

For red wines:

– Bourgogne Hautes-Côtes-de-Nuits ‘Coup de Foudre’, undergoes a short vatting (15 days), little extraction, gentle maceration on the fresh berries, it is matured in big casks between 6 and 8 months.

– Bourgogne Hautes-Côtes-de-Nuits ‘l’Age Mûre’, Côte de Nuits Villages, Ladoix and Beaune premier cru undergo a long maceration (from 22 to 30 days depending on the year).They are matured in casks.

Over the three villages, when the vintage makes it possible, we vinify our wines from whole bunches (between 20 and 50%). Maturing lasts from 12 to 24 months depending on the vintages and the appellations, the percentage of new oak varies from 5 to 30% according to the crus and the vintages.

– Savigny : a short-lived cuvée with 100% whole bunches, 12-month ageing in barrels.

For rosé wine:

It is drawn off after 24 to 48 hours vatting and poured into tanks, it is run off after alcoholic fermentation and rapidly bottled in order to keep the freshness of the very fruity aromas obtained, with distinctive Pinot Noir features. 

For white wines:

– Bourgogne Aligoté is kept in vats for about 8 to 12 months on lees.

– Bourgogne Hautes Côtes de Nuits is matured in oak casks for 20% of the output and in vats for the rest (80%). Ageing lasts between 6 and 10 months depending on the year.

–The ‘Clos des oiseaux’ cuvée is matured for 12 months in barrels (for 100% of the production), 30% of them being new oak.

– Savigny ‘les planchots’ et Ladoix ‘les vris’ sont élevés en fût de chêne entre 10 et 14 mois avec 50% fûts neufs.

For red wines:

– Bourgogne Hautes-Côtes-de-Nuits ‘Coup de Foudre’, undergoes a short vatting (15 days), little extraction, gentle maceration on the fresh berries, it is matured in big casks between 6 and 8 months.

– Bourgogne Hautes-Côtes-de-Nuits ‘l’Age Mûre’, Côte de Nuits Villages, Ladoix and Beaune premier cru undergo a long maceration (from 22 to 30 days depending on the year).They are matured in casks.

Over the three villages, when the vintage makes it possible, we vinify our wines from whole bunches (between 20 and 50%). Maturing lasts from 12 to 24 months depending on the vintages and the appellations, the percentage of new oak varies from 5 to 30% according to the crus and the vintages.

– Savigny : a short-lived cuvée with 100% whole bunches, 12-month ageing in barrels.

For rosé wine:

It is drawn off after 24 to 48 hours vatting and poured into tanks, it is run off after alcoholic fermentation and rapidly bottled in order to keep the freshness of the very fruity aromas obtained, with distinctive Pinot Noir features. 

Conditioning:

Regular samplings of our wines allow us to determine the right time for racking and bottling preparation. They are racked using a spigot and a cup, then they are gently blended a few months before bottling, taking into account the moon cycle. We avoid fining and filtering for the sake of quality, but if necessary we do so for a pleasurable sight. Our wines are bottled in one batch.

We package between 40,000 and 60, 000 bottles per year.